As readers of my blogs know a core belief is that the best way to increase your emotional intelligence is to use a practical yet scientifically valid model temperament to profile people’s core emotional intelligence traits. I recommend to my clients the 7MTF model which is a derivative of the Humm-Wadsworth.
I worked for nearly 30 years in the Financial Services industry which is driven by a combination of fear and greed. Recently my American partner, Bruce Lewolt, asked me what were the fears of each of the 7MTF core emotional traits. I came up with this list:
- GoGetters fear being seen as a loser. They divide the world into winners and losers and want to be seen by everyone as a winner.
- Regulators fear making a new decision that requires them to be first. When offered a solution their first question is always “Who else is doing this?”
- Artist beat to a different drum and fear being seen as part of the crowd and not a sensitive, imaginative individual.
- Socializers fear being alone.
- Politicians fear losing to a competitor or looking weak.
- Engineers fear being regarded as technically incompetent.
- Doublecheckers are the most risk-adverse trait and are scared that they will make a mistaken decision.
Greed is much easier to answer. One trait is greedy, the GoGetter and which is why they are so prevalent in the Financial Services industry. The rest of the traits are neutral; they all say they want money but only GoGetters are truly driven financially.
For those who are interested CNN Money maintains a Fear & Greed Index. It currently sits at the level of extreme greed. Warren Buffett once said that as an investor, it is wise to be “Fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.” The CNN index indicates it is time to start liquidating assets, paying down debt and building up cash reserves.
This post was first published on LinkedIn on 10 November 2019
Add Your Comment
"Put in a sales perspective, I loved your presentation! I got a lot from what you talked about and I will read your book."
Peter Morris, Executive Officer, Lomax Financial Group
Your presentation on 'Lifting your Level of Emotional Intelligence" to 10 CEOs scored an average 8.9 out of 10 for the topic and 8.5 for the presentation which is great. A couple of the attendees gave you a 10 out of 10, and the comments were:
- Great presentation. Very informative.
- Excellent presentation.
- made me think.
Christi Spring CEO Institute. - web www.ceo.com.au.